Ask 10 women what they want in a lip gloss and you may get 10 different answers. Every woman seems to have a preference, whether they’ve been using a specific product for years or looking to try something new and trendy.
Most women have very set ideas about what they want or have been using. Some prefer lip gloss that’s very bold while some prefer a more toned-down or matte finish. Some women want bright colors that create attention, yet many others want a product that augments their skin tone and doesn’t contrast sharply with their face. How long a product lasts and how many times you have to reapply it are also important factors.
Best Lip Glosses: Pros and Cons
Whatever the case, there are plenty of products to choose from. To this end we’ve compiled a list of the most popular lip glosses currently on the market. Some are brand names and some aren’t. The good news for consumers is that prices run between $7 and $35, so if you’d like to try out a few different brands, you don’t need to break the bank in order to do so.
PureGloss Lip Gloss
Jane Iredale’s PureGloss is a versatile lip gloss that comes in more than 20 different shades. Extract from the lotus flower is used to soothe any damage and protect your lips, while moringa oils and orange peel wax work to condition and hydrate them. This lip gloss also pairs well with Jane Iredale’s Just Kissed lip plumper for proper lip care in any situation.
- Available in a number of colors
- Not sticky
- Easy to apply
- Holds up for hours
- Some complaints about product causing dry lips
Nars Lip Gloss
This lip gloss by Nars not only hydrates lips but also protects them from the visible signs of aging. Sea lavender is used to smooth the appearance of fine lines and keep lips soft. This lip gloss comes in seven distinct high shine finishes and three shimmer finishes, offering a wide range of options to suit your needs.
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna offers a top tier cruelty-free lip gloss with a peach-vanilla scent. This product only comes in three high shine finishes, but each is designed to give your look an extra flair. Shea butter is used as the main moisturizing and conditioning ingredient to help your lips look great all day.
- Created by pop star Rihanna
- Designed to look good on all skin tones and undertones
- Shade is rosy nude
- Non-sticky formula also moisturizes lips
- Thousands of online reviews; mostly positive
- Some complaints about smell and stickiness of product
Marc Jacobs Enamored Hi-Shine Lip Lacquer
Marc Jacobs’ Enamored Hi-Shine lip gloss comes in an impressive 15 shimmer finishes and 17 high shine finishes, allowing everyone to find the right shade. This lip gloss is also cruelty-free and formulated without parabens, sulfates, or phthalates. Its light mint scent works to leave you with a fresh smell all day.
L’Oréal Paris Infallible 8 HR Pro Gloss
This lip gloss by L’Oréal Paris is made to last. Offering up to eight hours of continuous wear without the need for touchups, this lip gloss works overtime to keep your lips soft, smooth, and colorful. Best of all, it comes in 21 colors, ranging from matching natural skin tones to fuchsia.
- Brand name for beauty products
- Low-priced item provides high shine and lasts up to 8 hours
- Can be paired with products for lips
- 20+ colors to choose from
- Some users complain of adverse reaction on lips
Sephora Collection Outrageous Effect Volume Lip Gloss
Sephora’s high shine lip gloss provides fuller and plumper lips with each application. Sunflower seed and ginger root oils give this product its hydrating power. This lip gloss only comes in two high shine finishes, which is much more limited than other available products.
- Brand name for cosmetics
- Manufacturer claims product acts as a gloss and a lip plumper
- Some complaints about the smell
Covergirl Melting Pout Vinyl Vow
- Hydrating formula
- Offers full coverage color with an intense glossy finish
- Available in many colors
- Low price
- Some complaints about the smell
CHARLOTTE TILBURY Latex Love Long-Lasting Lip Gloss
- Lacquered and intensely pigmented liquid lipstick
- Provides a mirror-like shine
- Priced higher than other products in this category
- Online complaints about the product’s smell and taste
BECCA Glow Gloss
Shea and muru muru butters are combined with vitamin C and E to create this healing and hydrating lip gloss. Becca Glow is also brightly pigmented with nine distinct colors to choose from.
- Moisturizes and gives lips a glossy finish
- Manufacturer claims product provides nourishing benefit of a lip balm
- Contains light reflecting pigments
- Comes in many shades
- Few online complaints, primarily about how long it lasts
Gen Nude Buttercream Lip Gloss by BAREMINERALS
Bareminerals’ Gen Nude lip gloss’ main appeal is its range of skin-matching colors. With 10 shades, this lip gloss blends perfectly with nearly any skin tone. Shea, avocado, murumuru, and cupuacu butters also hydrate and smooth your lips.
- Comes in a range of nude shades for all skin tones
- Added ingredients to help plump lips
- Vanilla scent
- Sheer to medium coverage
- Complaints that product wears off easily and doesn’t’ taste good
NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Butter Gloss
This budget friendly option from Nyx comes in 24 colors to compliment most skin tones. This lip gloss works to provide smoother, more hydrated lips. It is also cruelty-free and PETA certified.
- Lowest priced product on list
- Comes in 24 shades
- Sheer to medium coverage
- Manufacturer claims in softens and conditions lips
- Not long-lasting
- Too sticky
Lipstick Queen Rear View Mirror Lip Lacquer
This lip gloss comes in an easy to apply stick to get your lips shined on the go. Lipstick Queen’s lip gloss hydrates and softens lips for a smooth, supple feel. It also comes in nine classic colors.
- High-shine gloss
- Applied with a jelly stick that melts when it comes in contact with the lips to lessen stickiness
- Manufacturer claims it nourishes like a lip balm
- Not many online reviews
- Could wear off quicker
Bite Beauty French Press Lip Gloss
This lip gloss by Bite Beauty is inspired through and through by America’s favorite drink: coffee. It uses coffee butter extract and arabica cold press coffee oil to hydrate lips. The shades are also coffee-inspired, from pale flat white to the bold black.
- A coffee inspired lip gloss
- Creamy and high-shine
- Mocha flavored
- Complaints about smell and flavor
KAT VON D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick
Kat Von D’s liquid lipstick offers 31 unique matte finishes. These colors range from options that match most natural skin tones, to bright options like violet and orange. Kat Von D also offers gothic blacks and greys to assure there truly is a shade for everyone.
- Very popular brand with thousands of reviews
- Comes in 40+ shades
- Long wear, highly-pigmented liquid lipstick
- Matte finish
- Complaints about color and drying of lips