HIFU (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound) facial treatment is an advanced cosmetic technology that tightens and lifts your specific facial areas. This treatment can also vanish the signs of aging from your face and improves your skin tone in a single session. HIFU Facelift uses ultrasound energy to tighten, enhance and lift the skin. So it is a long-lasting, non-surgical, and non-invasive treatment.
Here we can discuss the HiFU treatment process, its side effects, instructions to follow after treatment, and the durability of the result.
Does HIFU Facial Treatment Hurt?
No! HIFU treatment will not hurt. But you may experience only slight discomfort during the HIFU treatment. Some people feel it like tiny electric pulses or a slight prickly sensation. Doctors may suggest acetaminophen (Tylenol) or any anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) if you worry about pain. You may experience mild swelling or redness after the treatment. But it will gradually reduce over the next few hours.
Understand the HIFU facial treatment steps to know more. There is no special preparation needed before this HIFU treatment procedure. Before treatment, it is necessary to remove all makeup and skincare products from the targeted area.
Following are the next steps.
- A physician or technician may clean the targeted area first.
- Next, they will apply a topical anesthetic cream to your skin.
- Then your physician or technician will spread an ultrasound gel.
- Next, they will place the HIFU device against the skin.
- With an ultrasound viewer, they adjust the device in the right direction.
- Next, they deliver ultrasound energy to the target area in short pulses for roughly 30 to 90 minutes.
- A person can go home and resume their daily routine activities after this facial treatment procedure.
In HIFU treatment, the ultrasound energy heats the tissues below the skin. Your skin sustains damage till your skin cells get to a specific temperature. This procedure forces your skin cells to produce more collagen – the element that defines your skin and gives plumpness. The increased production of collagen gives you healthier and tighter skin.
Does HIFU Facial Treatment Have Any Side Effects?
HIFU facial treatment is a safe process when you do this by a trained and qualified professional. Another name for this procedure is lunchtime face-lift since it is a quick procedure. Even though this ultrasound therapy is a safe method of facial tightening, it is essential to know some side effects before getting a HIFU facial.
- Pain: Generally, ultrasonic therapy is a painless one. But some users reported a slight tingling sensation or warmth on their skin. There are also some chances of pinprick sensation and heat. You will feel this during the treatment, and it will not continue after you leave the place. Few people reported feeling uncomfortable during the treatment process. An experienced aesthetic professional administers a numbing cream or oral medication to get rid of this pain. However, this pain and different feelings occur only in rare cases.
- Blotchy skin: This is the most common side effect most people reported after this treatment. Your treated area may become red and blotchy, especially if your skin is sensitive and prone to redness. This effect is also not a permanent one. It goes away a few hours after the treatment. Your aesthetics may provide you a cream to settle this at the end of treatment.
- Swelling: Some rare side effects of HIFU facial treatments are bloated and swollen skin. Yes! In some situations, it may occur as each skin type is different. The swelling usually vanishes from your face after a few days. Then you can enjoy the age-rewinding benefits of your ultrasound facial.
- Numbness: In the HIFU procedure, the sound waves emitted will penetrate the deepest skin layers to eradicate even the most deep-set wrinkles. When it penetrates the very deepest layers, it may cause some minor damage and leads to feelings of numbness. You may feel a tingling sensation in delicate areas, like the eyes and lips. This numbness will go away within two weeks without any need for medication or medical intervention.
- Hyper-pigmentation: The rarest but potentially permanent side effect is hyperpigmentation. Thus, your skin experiences a color change and becomes darker due to the heat-emitting ultrasound device that can reach temperatures of up to 45 – 65 degrees celsius. So it is better to take a patch test and ensure the after-effects.
- The absence of effect: This treatment will not work in some people. There will be no visible benefits, and sometimes they may see adverse results. In a rare 10% of cases, users cannot notice any difference in their skin and neck.
- Some patients feel sore around the jawline and cheeks the next day after HIFU facial treatment. It is a sign that the HIFU treatment is working effectively as the collagen synthesis process has begun.
Every facial therapy has some potential adverse side effects. The result of HIFU facial treatment varies between people, and some may see more significant results than others. Collagen production works inside our body, and it creates a subtle change in the skin appearance for a healthy, natural, and fresh-faced look.
You can see progressive results for up to 6 months based on the laxity of your skin. For new users, their skin elasticity will improve tremendously. As a result, you can notice pores shrinking, laugh lines, wrinkles, and double chin receding by the first month.
Aftercare Of HIFU Facial Treatment
If you will be attending your first HIFU facial enhancement treatment session, here are some things you must know for after-treatment care:
- Stay away from direct sunlight: Protection from sunlight is always essential if you want your skin to recover from the treatment. You can apply sunblock to minimize sun damage to your skin. After receiving HIFU treatment, your skin will become more sensitive and prone to irritation, sunburn, and pigmentation. So some additional care is essential for the first few days.
- Keep the skin hydrated: You can use moisturizer to promote ample hydration in your skin post-treatment. Drinking more water can also help you be hydrated. This hydration helps your skin recover soon and stimulates collagen production.
- Avoid hot water baths: When you use hot water for a bath immediately after the treatment, it will aggravate sensitive skin. So, it is better to avoid hot tubs and steam rooms. Hot showers will strip away the natural oils from the skin and make it more vulnerable to damage. Choose a cool or lukewarm shower that soothes your skin after HIFU treatment.
- Be away from powerful skincare products: Some skin products contain potential irritants or abrasives like salicylic acids, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, and vitamin C. Avoid these products until your skin no longer feels tender and swollen. Instead, use a non-exfoliating cleanser and light moisturizer to keep your skin harmless. Consider only gentle makeup products for this duration.
- Wait before exercising: Yes! HIFU is a non-invasive treatment with zero downtime, and you can resume your work as soon as possible. But some vigorous exercise and heavy lifting make your body heats up and perspires, which can be uncomfortable for your tender skin. You can resume these heavy activities once your skin feels back to normal.
How Long Does HIFU Facial Treatment Last?
Generally, you can start noticing the results as early as 3 to 4 weeks after the treatment. Your skin elasticity and texture will improve continuously for up to 6 months with more collagen production.
A study report states that 66% of patients who had HIFU treatment done on their face and neck noticed advanced results in their overall appearance in just three months. These improvements last up to six months to a year, based on the age criteria of the patient and aftercare. You may need some touch-up treatments to maintain the results. Whatever, research proved that this procedure firms your sagging skin, smooths wrinkles, and improves skin texture.
HIFU is the safest treatment as the ultrasound energy targets only the tissue below the skin surface. It will not cause any damage to the skin’s upper layers. Yes! It is result-filled. But the thing to note is that HIFU is not a suitable treatment option for everyone. Generally, doctors recommend this treatment for people aged 30 and above. And also, people with sagging skin are not eligible to take this HIFU facial treatment. A face-lift surgery can help those people and yield better results.