Nasal Hairs are always the first line of defense against foreign particles entering the lungs. So, why should we remove them? The more nose hairs, the more the protection might be ok, but it is not visually pleasing and draws embarrassing attention.
Laser skin removal is one of the best options to remove your nose hair and get a fair and even look. Learn more about laser nose hair removal procedures, success rate, side effects, associated risks, and benefits.
Nose Hairs: Why Are They Present?
By nature, blood vessels are present in higher density in the nose and face than in any other body part. These blood vessels stimulate the growth of hair in the ear and nose.
Nose hairs perform the following functions:
- They restrict pollen.
- They act as filters.
- They trap dust and allergens.
- They forbid some microscopic pathogens from entering your lungs.
- They protect from airborne germs.
Nose hairs ensure that your lungs draw in pure air as much as possible. In particular, nose hairs prevent asthmatic bouts for people with seasonal rhinitis, as high hair density reduces the recurrence of respiratory disorders.
Nose Hairs: Why Are They To Be Removed?
Hair growth in the scalp is seen as a sign of youth, whereas long strands of hair protruding from ears and nose are considered a sign of old age, particularly in men. It is downright displeasing for one to see.
Due to family history or many factors, in elderly people, hair follicles may develop “anagen sensitivity.” As a result, thin strands of hair are seen dangling out from the nose and ears.
Aesthetically, it is displeasing. Nose hair, per se, is not a problem, but whiskers showing out of the nose are awkward. In your grooming, nose hair care involves an integral role. In fact, nose hair removal discussed here is not to propagate the total removal of all nose hair.
The presence of nose hair is not a clinical or pathological condition. You can opt to live with it.
Common Nose Hair Removal Techniques
The usual strategies adopted at home and in parlors are gender-neutral. There is no distinction in the techniques for males and females. They include:
- Trimming: Affordable manual trimmers or electric nose trimmers can trim the top part of the hair strands. The flip side to this approach is that it needs to be done periodically, and the results are short-lived.
- Cutting: Plain scissors are used to cut the length of the nose hair. The hair grows again. Repetitive cutting would be required.
- Tweezing: Plucking the nose hairs using a tweezer. Regrowth will be delayed. However, the disadvantage is sharp pain after the procedure.
Miniature rotary clippers, electric facial buzzers (for female nose hair), and attachments that go with electric shavers are other instruments for discarding nose hair.
Waxing is another way done in a salon setting by a trained professional. Compared to cutting or trimming, waxing can extract even tiny hairs inside the nose. It is more painful than tweezing.
Laser Nose Hair Removal: Procedure, Its Benefits, And Drawbacks
Compared to all of the above methods, laser nose hair removal offers a long-term solution. It stands out as a corrective method when hormonal imbalances or changes contribute to excess hair growth in the nose.
Before subjecting your body to the laser beam, you should consult a board-certified cosmetologist.
Before the procedure, at least for a week, you are asked to:
- Stay out of the sun.
- Stop taking blood thinners if you are on it.
- Stay away from waxing or plucking. In some people, trimming is allowed.
Cosmetic surgeons never use lasers deep inside the nasal tract as it may ruin the mucous membrane. The treatment is performed only at the edge of the nostrils.
First, the skin is numbed with local anesthesia. A laser beam is used to target the base of the nostril.
The nose is held up. The laser beam is directed to the sides of the nasal wall, which penetrates the skin.
This is absorbed by the hair shaft, which is converted to heat. This heat damages the hair follicles.
An individual laser hair removal process takes a short time. You may need to go for 5 to 6 sessions for a complete
- The foremost advantage of laser nose hair removal is its precision. If needed, even a few hair strands can be targeted without damaging the skin surrounding them.
- People undergoing this treatment experience no or minimal pain.
- The procedure delivers guaranteed results compared to countless cream applications or waxing.
- Each laser pulse can cover around a 9 x 9 mm area, and targeting the inside area of the nose is easy.
- When hair regrows after this treatment, it is usually finer, lighter, and fewer in the count.
- There is no downtime involved.
- The focus is on the hairs that are visible from the outside. This technique heats and destroys follicles from the root.
- Laser treatment is suitable for its removal when the nasal hair is growing. But naturally, surgeons using laser techniques will not be able to know the hair’s growth cycle.
- It is more of a hair reduction method than a hair removal method.
- The number of sessions required would range from five to six. You should be prepared to take that many visits.
- There is a risk of hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation at the lasered site.
- Scarring, burning, and itching post-procedure are the usual side effects.
- This method is not suitable for treating pregnant women.
Accuracy is the strong suit of laser treatment for nose hair removal. With do-it-yourself methods needing to be repeated once a month, parlor and salon techniques putting you in the hands of non-physician operators, laser treatment for hair removal under the able hands of a board-certified and licensed dermatologist can take care of nasal hair elimination. Periodical trimming of nasal hair would solve the problem as it is rendered the safest.
How safe these methods are, depends on the hands performing the procedure, i.e., the need for a professional with dexterity.
The targeted area is sensitive, and the laser light beam is a high-energy heat source.
Regardless of the method, nose hairs tend to grow back via normal techniques. But with laser treatment, regrowth is minimal. For this reason, this method is the best one that works well.