Liposuction helps patients achieve a leaner, more contoured appearance by eliminating excess fat from the body.
Although the treatment itself is quite simple, the healing phase can be difficult, particularly when it comes to controlling swelling and discomfort. Here, compression garments come to your rescue!
This article covers the advantages of wearing compression clothing after liposuction. It will teach you how to choose the best liposuction compression garment for your needs and the significance that compression plays in the healing process.
Additionally, you’ll get advice on how to take care of your compression garment, wear it properly, and make the most of your recovery time.
This manual is a crucial tool for anyone trying to maximize their recovery and obtain the greatest outcomes, whether they are thinking about getting liposuction or have already had the operation done.
What Are Liposuction Compression Garments?
Compression garments for liposuction are customized clothing items worn after surgery to support the newly shaped area and speed healing. These clothing items are made to gently press on the treated area, which reduces swelling, boosts circulation, and helps the skin take on its new shape.
Putting on a compression garment after the surgery helps lessen discomfort, lower the risk of infection, and prevent fluid buildup. Based on the complexity of the procedure and the patient’s recovery, liposuction compression garments are selected. These garments often need to be worn for several weeks or months after surgery.
Why Do I Have To Wear Compression Garments After Liposuction?
Wearing liposuction compression garments is a necessary post-operative care measure. Check the below reasons:
- Improved blood flow: Compression clothing aids in improving blood flow to the injured areas, which can speed up healing.
- Lessened swelling: The moderate compression provided by the liposuction compression garments aid in reducing swelling. This lessens discomfort and enhances the treatment area’s appearance.
- Improved skin retraction: This can lead to a smoother, more contoured appearance. The pressure from the garment can also help to improve skin retraction.
- Support: By helping to support the treated area, liposuction compression garments can help to lower the risk of problems and enhance the surgery’s overall result.
Always go by your plastic surgeon’s recommendations about the type of compression garment you should wear. He/She will advise you how long to wear it.
How Should A Liposuction Compression Garment Be Worn?
- As soon as the procedure is finished, put on the garment.
- Wear the garment for the suggested duration that your plastic surgeon specifies. It is typically around 24/7 for the first 2-4 weeks.
- The clothing should fit snugly but not too tightly to prevent discomfort and breathing obstruction.
- Check to see that the clothing completely and flatly covers the treated region.
- If you feel uncomfortable or have trouble breathing, take off the garment and consult with your plastic surgeon.
For the finest liposuction results, it’s crucial to adhere to your cosmetic surgeon’s instructions.
What Are The Risks Associated With Wearing A Compression Garment After Liposuction?
Following liposuction, it’s frequently advised to wear a compression garment to help with healing, minimize edema, and improve operational outcomes. However, it has some possible dangers that should be taken into account.
- Skin irritation: If the compression garment is overly tight, it may irritate the skin, creating rashes.
- Nerve damage: Putting on an overly tight compression garment might exert pressure on the nerves. This may cause numbness or tingling in the affected area.
- Issues with blood circulation: If the compression garment is too tight, it might restrict blood flow to the injured area and impede healing.
- Allergic reaction: Some individuals might be allergic to the material used to produce compression clothing. It might cause skin rashes, itching, and skin irritation.
To reduce these hazards, it’s critical to wear a compression garment that is appropriately fitted and proportioned.
Listen to your surgeon’s recommendations for the frequency and length of usage. Because wearing liposuction compression garments for an extended period can also cause skin irritation and other issues.
What Happens If You Do Not Wear Liposuction Compression Garments?
After liposuction, failure to wear the advised compression garment can result in several issues. In fact, it might have a detrimental impact on the procedure’s outcomes.
Negative effects of not wearing compression garments are:
- Swelling: After liposuction, wearing compression clothing can help reduce swelling. If the garment is not worn, edema may increase excessively and take longer to go down.
- Bruising: By applying light pressure to the area that is bruised, the garment helps to lessen the amount of bruising.
- Poor healing: If you won’t wear a compression garment, the risk of problems rises and poor healing occurs. The garment aids in promoting healthy healing and lowering the risk of infection.
- Subpar results: Without adequate compression, the procedure’s outcomes could be impaired. The garment aids in body contouring and reshaping the treated area. Basically, it encourages a more aesthetically pleasing appearance.
Where Can I Buy Compression Garments After Liposuction?
Surgical compression garments are available from several retailers, including:
- Plastic surgery clinics or hospitals: If you’re looking for compression apparel that has been specially advised by your doctor, this is a good alternative.
- Online retailers: You may buy compression clothing from a variety of websites, and you can frequently find a broader range of styles, sizes, and pricing.
- Medical supply stores: A few medical supply stores offer post-operative supplies, including compression garments.
- Pharmacies: Some larger pharmacies might sell compression clothing, but the variety might be minimal.
If you want to achieve optimal fit and optimum advantages, it’s crucial to choose the correct size and style when purchasing post-op compression garments. Furthermore, you need to think about the fabric and degree of compression that various clothing options offer. Discuss with your plastic surgeon and then purchase the correct liposuction compression garments as per his/her recommendations. Also, don’t forget to keep your comfort in mind while selecting the garment!
A: Always make it a point to check the measurements and durability. Along with that, your comfort should be the first priority.
A: These post-op garments compress the tissues surrounding the surgical site. This, in turn, helps to reduce swelling, thereby easing pain and discomfort. Moreover, the pressure helps to promote blood flow, which can aid in the recovery process.