If you have acne, dark spots, uneven skin tone, or skin imperfections, the cliche comment you often hear is, “Why can’t you consult a dermatologist to treat your skin issues?” Some friends or colleagues may specifically tell you to get a hydro dermabrasion treatment.
At that moment, two questions arise in your mind:
Is this treatment really helpful?
Does hydro dermabrasion hurt?
Are you struggling to decide on this or surfing the web to find more details about this treatment? Then read this blog to know the purpose and benefits of hydro dermabrasion.
We have also enlisted the key points that help you differentiate microdermabrasion and hydro dermabrasion.
What Is Hydro Dermabrasion?
Hydro dermabrasion is a skin rejuvenation process that involves deep cleansing and exfoliation. Hydro dermabrasion can give you a new skin glow, plumpness, and brightness. This dermabrasion treatment helps you reveal your skin’s inner radiance by wiping off all the traces of dullness.
What Does Hydro Dermabrasion Do?
Hydro dermabrasion facial, the non-invasive procedure, does more beneficial acts on your skin. It revitalizes your dehydrated, dry skin by providing the essential hydration your skin expects.
Hydro dermabrasion works on your age marks like fine lines and wrinkles to smooth them out. Thus, you can turn the clock and get a youthful appearance. Treating congested pores helps you stay away from new breakouts and blackheads.
If you have a strawberry skin structure with large open pores, you will get more benefits through this treatment. It can shrink the pores in possible ways.
Overall, this treatment can be a blessing if you have
- Extremely dry skin
- Excess sebum production
- Sensitive skin issues
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Large pores
- Scars and blemishes
- Dark spots
- Uneven skin tone
How It Helps You?
Let’s imagine what happens when you apply a moisturizer or serum to this dry layer. Can your skin absorb it completely? No, it cannot.
Dead skin accumulation reduces the capability of your products to reach the deep layers of the skin. Through hydro dermabrasion, you can get a solution for this issue. The results from this treatment help your products to penetrate deeper.
Generally, there are four steps involved in hydro dermabrasion. They are
- Skin preparation
- Dead skin removal
- Vacuum suction
- Serum application
Let’s discuss the overall procedure in short.
- First, your esthetician prepares your skin for hydro dermabrasion. Your face should be completely shaved before the procedures start.
- The first step includes cleansing and hydro peeling. Both these help your skin in deep cleansing and exfoliation. It removes all the dead skin cells, sebum, and dirt from your stratum corneum.
- In the next step, they use a non-irritating combination of salicylic and glycolic acids on your skin. This step releases the debris and dirt from the deep pores. Thus, it helps prevent pustule formation.
- The next step is using a strong vacuum to pull out the blackheads and leftover impurities through gentle suction.
- The final step is a nutrition infusion that delivers a pro-antioxidant formula with peptides and hyaluronic acid deep into the skin. It gives you positive results through skin rejuvenation, restoration, and detoxification.
Note: The steps involved in hydro dermabrasion vary slightly based on the provider you chose.
Is Hydro Dermabrasion Good For Skin?
Yes, with zero doubt, it is good for your skin. Hydro dermabrasion facials can be a better choice for all your skin issues irrespective of skin type, conditions, age, and gender.
Hydro Dermabrasion vs. Microdermabrasion
The terms hydro dermabrasion and microdermabrasion are capable of creating big confusion among their users. Even though both denote skin beautification methods, they have some differences.
In microdermabrasion, your esthetician moves a handheld device that delivers micro-crystals over your face. It cleanses and exfoliates your skin, and finally, they use a vacuum extractor to clear the area thoroughly.
At the same time, hydro dermabrasion uses a saline solution or combination of other active acids for skin exfoliation and cleansing. Finally, the dirt particles and dead skin cells are removed through gentle suction.
Generally, hydro dermabrasion is a non-invasive procedure with zero after-effects. But after microdermabrasion, your skin may experience mild redness and tenderness. Usually, it does not hurt your skin in any way and goes away so quickly too.
- Suitable Skin Types
Even though both these treatments are beneficial for all skin types, they work a little bit more on certain skin types.
For example, hydro dermabrasion is a great choice for dry, irritated, and dehydrated skin. Likewise, microdermabrasion is the best choice for oily skin.
Fret not! You can customize these treatments for your skin type.
- Cost Of Each Session
Usually, the price for each session varies based on providers and the quality of their work.
For hydro dermabrasion, the approximate cost is 150 to 300$ per session.
For microdermabrasion, the approximate cost is 75 to 300$ per session.
- Time Needed For Visible Results
You have to spend at least one hour to complete the entire steps involved in one hydro dermabrasion session. Here, you can enjoy immediate results in the form of improved skin smoothness and radiance.
On the other hand, you can complete microdermabrasion in 30 to 45 minutes. But when coming to results, it takes a little more time to reveal the new radiance and vibrance.
- Frequency Of Touch Ups
It is also based on your skin conditions and issue. Sometimes, your skin issues might be severe. There, you cannot expect an instant result after the very first sitting.
You can get a magical glow with hydro dermabrasion when you repeat it every 2-4 weeks.
But, in microdermabrasion, you need to take 6 to 8 treatments for 2 to 4 weeks. These numerous sessions are essential if you want to treat certain conditions like acne marks, dark spots, or wrinkles.
Benefits And Risks Associated With Hydro Dermabrasion
All skin beautification methods come with positives and negatives. It is essential to know both to tackle some critical situations after treatments.
Benefits Of Hydro Dermabrasion
Following are some of the skin benefits you can expect from hydro dermabrasion.
- If dry and dehydrated skin is your issue, this method heals that condition by offering the needed hydration.
- Age lines and wrinkles due to lifestyle and habits may make you appear older at a younger age. Hydro dermabrasion helps you clear these age marks easily.
- Deep skin cleansing and exfoliation clear the oiliness and dirt particle accumulation and help keep the acne and clogged pores at bay.
- Marks and scars from healed and popped acne can be cleared with this method.
- Dark spots and sunburns are capable of making your skin uneven. This uneven look can be corrected with hydro dermabrasion treatment.
- This treatment method stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, which eventually improves the skin’s plumpness and clears small fine lines.
Risks Associated With Hydro Dermabrasion
- A short-term breakout is common in this procedure. You cannot add this to the list of risks. But you should be aware of this.
- Hydro dermabrasion may worsen your active acne, rashes, sunburns, and wounds. So, it is better to avoid this treatment if you have any one of these.
- The acids used in this treatment, like salicylic acid or glycolic acid, are not a safer option for pregnant women. So pregnant women should stay away from this treatment to avoid negative reactions.
- It is good to stop all prescription-based OTC products a few days before this treatment. Usually, your esthetician tells you to do that. If you fail to follow this instruction, you may witness some severe irritations after treatment.
- If you take this treatment from an unlicensed or inexperienced person, the results may be unexpected and distressing.
Hydro dermabrasion, the advanced technology to improve facial beauty, may be similar to some other procedures. But it varies from others through a better and long-lasting result.
Getting clear knowledge of each step involved, understanding the key differences between different beautification methods, and taking note of the benefits and risks help you choose the best treatment for your specific skin needs.
Note: Be cautious if you have severe acne or rosacea. Get suggestions from your dermatologist before you decide to take this treatment.