People mostly have different preferences for the shape of their lips. Some may prefer them round, while others want a more angular shape. Different people might aspire for lip shapes that are not achievable just by wearing lipstick; there is a way around this with lip fillers.
Lip fillers are becoming more and more popular these days; they are essentially cosmetic products injected into your lips to give them a fuller look.
They can either be used for touch-ups or get a different shape. As the name suggests, lip fillers tend to enhance lip size. The following article will briefly focus on the best lip fillers in their shape, size, and longevity.
Different Types Of Lip Filler Shapes
The shape of your lips is not something you can change; you can use lip fillers to alter their appearance. Although some people may want a natural look when using the products listed in this section, it is always advised to work with a professional before choosing a particular product. The choice ultimately depends on what shape you want them to have.
- Classic shape: One of the most popular options for lip fillers shape is the traditional shape. It has a rounded outer corner but with a pointier tip. It is ideal for those who want a natural look without generally taking care of their lips.
- Gull Wing: One of the most dramatic lip filler shapes is the gull wing. It looks like a child’s drawing of a seagull’s wings, with pointed tips and a rounded outer corner. It is ideal for those who want a more dramatic look. In the Gullwing, the upper lip is pushed outwards, creating the effect of a bigger mouth.
- Sausage: Also known for its shape is the sausage. The upper lip is bent at an angle on both sides, creating a full mouth look. This type of filler can also enhance lip size and give them a fuller appearance. Additionally, lips look plump and full from both top and bottom.
- Full: The full lip is a shape that is considered very natural. It looks like it has its natural form, making it efficient for those who want a more natural look but want to enhance the size of the lips.
- Shelf: A lip shelf is shaped like a shelf, with the upper lip slightly longer than the bottom lip. It has a wide upper border, which makes it more natural. This type of lip filler is best for those who have smaller mouths, as it increases the size naturally.
- Thin Outer: A thin outer lip is a lip filler shape in which the middle of the lip has all the volume, thinking towards the outer corners. It is suitable for those who want thin lips and want to change the length of their lips.
- Double Lobe Upper: The Double lobe upper lip filler shape is long and fuller with a round, protruding upper border that gives you a plump and pouty upper lip. It is suitable for people who want to enhance the length and size of their lips.
- Triple Lobe Upper: As the name suggests, the triple lobe upper lip filler shape provides a lot of volume to your lips. The outer corners are perfectly rounded, giving it a super pouty effect. Additionally, all three upper tubercles are visible with this shape, and the lip is wider with a more defined overall shape.
- Double Lobe Lower: The double Lobe lower lip filler shape is longer than the upper lip, with no protruding upper border. It is packed to the bottom lip, making it more natural and look sexier. Additionally, this is a good option for those who want to give their lips an emphasized look.
Which Type Of Lip Filler Shape Might Be Best For You?
It is usually a good idea to consult a professional before deciding on the best lip filler shape. However, since this is not always practical, people should be able to decide on a lip filler shape that fits their needs. A few points that might help make the final decision are mentioned below:
- If you want fuller lips, it is better to opt for a lip filler shape that includes volume.
- If you want a lip shape that is sexier, don’t shy away from the sexier options, such as the sausage or the Gullwing shape.
- Before choosing a lip filler shape, don’t forget to consider your face shape. For example, you would probably look best with the classic option if you have a round or oval face without many defined features.
- If you feel that your lips are not expressive enough, you might want to choose the full option or the shelf option. It will give them a more defined shape.
- Know which area of your lips you want to emphasize. For example, if you’re going to make your mouth look broader and more defined, you might use the thin outer option.
- Decide whether you want a uniform or a more natural lip. It is usually best to choose something that follows the natural shape of your lips rather than forcing a particular shape on them. Although there is nothing wrong with trying out different shapes, it’s always best to keep it simple and go with one that complements your face and skin tone.
- The last suggestion is to consider your skin tone and your hair color. For example, overdoing it with lip fillers can look weird if you are a redhead.
Although there are no strict rules to follow when choosing a lip filler shape, it is important to do your research and get a professional’s opinion before getting the cosmetic procedure done. It is better to be safe than sorry.
Which Products Are Used For Different Types Of Lip Filler Shapes?
Different products and methods can be used to achieve a certain look. A lip shape filler is simply the process of filling in lips to a desired size and shape. However, the following are a few popular techniques used to achieve your desired lip filler shape.
- Hyaluronic acid is one of the most popular ingredients used in a lip filler. It is relatively safe, even though there are some side effects occasionally. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring ingredient found in the human skin.
It is popularly known as the “body’s water-binding agent” since it provides a protective cushion for the joints and other body tissues. It is also naturally present in the eyes and mouth, where it can be used to prevent sagging and lines from developing.
- The second type of ingredient that is used as a filler is collagen. Either or both of these ingredients can be used to help create the desired lip shape. Collagen is found in the skin, bones, and connective tissue.
It is responsible for giving the skin its structure and firmness. The injected collagen helps to thicken and gives the lips a firmer appearance.
- Even dermal fillers are also used for a lip filler shape. Dermal fillers can be customized according to the requirements of each patient and the area that needs filling. It is a popular option since it can be used to fill a variety of open spaces or depressed areas. Dermal fillers remain in the skin for six months to 2 years, depending on the product type used.
Moreover, certain popular products are used in lip filler shapes, such as:
- Restylane Silk: It is one of the most common dermal fillers. It is also a hyaluronic acid filler. Restylane Silk is mainly used to add lip volume and fullness. It can also be used to correct fine lines around the mouth and lips in some cases. It is ideal for lip enhancement. This product has many benefits over other products. However, it is also one of the most expensive options.
- Perlane: It is a popular dermal filler made from hyaluronic acid and collagen. Its absorption rate is quite slow, making it an excellent option for patients with a slow healing time. It also has little to no dryness issue and does not shrink. Perlane is ideal for adding volume and fullness to the lips.
- Juvederm Ultra: This is an excellent choice for lip enhancement. It is also a collagen-based product, so it feels soothing on the skin. It provides instant results and increases the volume of your lips in seconds. Juvederm ultra has a soft and rubbery texture, perfect for any skin type. The lip shape filler is ideal for those who want to add a little bit of volume and fullness and soft plumpness to their lips.
How And When To Refill Lip Filler Shapes?
Lip enhancement is not a quick cosmetic procedure and can take up to a few hours. However, depending on the type of filler that has been used, it can take some time to fill in the area of your lips completely.
It is essential to follow all the instructions and keep an eye on the progress. However, the following are the plastic surgery steps to shape lips:
- Your dermatologist will consult with you about your lips and the shape you want them to have. They will review your facial features and skin tone.
- After you agree with the shape, a lip injection can be done to help shape your lips. It is usually done in the area of the upper lip.
- An injectable filler can be used for this procedure, and it usually lasts for between six months to one year, depending on the brand that has been used.
- The shape of your lips will become visible after a few days. You may follow your plastic surgeon’s recommendation and wait for it to settle down properly.
While the lips look plump and fuller, they will eventually subside to the point where they fall back to their original shape. You do not have to worry because it is normal and can happen after every lip filler session.
However, if you want your lips to maintain their fullness and lip volume for longer periods, it is essential to get them refilled every few months. The refill will depend on the shape and size of your lips.
If you want fuller lips, it is recommended that you get them refilled at least twice a year. Also, if your dermatologist considers it necessary, they may recommend that you get more than one lip filler product to give your lips a more natural appearance. After all, fullness without balance is not a good look.
Precautions You Must Take After Getting Lip Filler Shapes
Lip fillers are a very popular method to enhance the look of your lips. However, your body may react differently, and it is crucial to be prepared for this. Here are some precautions that you must take:
- You can experience swelling and bruising after getting lip filler shapes. The swelling will go down in a few days, while the bruising should settle within a week.
- You must also let your plastic surgeon know if you experience any tenderness or irritation after the procedure.
- It might help if you did not start any intensive workouts right after the filler treatment, as it could cause bumps and unevenness in the lips.
- If your lips have been injected, you need to ensure that you do not bite them hard, resulting in bruising and unevenness in the lip filler shape area.
- In case your lips bleed, you should see a doctor immediately. They will determine the cause of the bleeding and will offer specific treatments.
- It would help if you avoid smoking and drinking alcohol, which will increase the risk of infection in your lip.
- You should also avoid eating certain spicy foods and hot drinks.
How To Maintain The Results Of Lip Filler Shapes?
After getting lip filler shapes, you may feel that your lips are more sensitive and softer. It is normal and will go away after some time. However, specific maintenance measures should be taken to maintain the results for longer periods. Here are some of them:
- It would help keep your lips hydrated by using lip balms or lip moisturizers with SPF and nourishing ingredients such as vitamin E.
- You must avoid using heavy makeup and lipsticks to make your lips appear uneven and swollen.
- It would help wash your lips before going to bed with a mild cleanser and gently pat them.
- You must drink at least eight glasses of water every day to keep hydrated and reduce the risk of having dry lips; hydration is quite important.
Lip filler shapes are a great way to enhance the look of your lips and give them a fuller and rounder appearance. However, before you go for this procedure, it is important to remember that the results are not permanent, and the shape will eventually fade over time.
The procedure itself is simple; it can be painful depending on the amount of filler that has been used. The recovery duration is also comparatively short, and you will be able to go back to your normal activities within a few days.
However, you must follow your doctor’s instructions and avoid certain foods and drinks for a while. The essential thing is that you need to maintain the shape by getting your lips refilled every few months.
How much time does it take to recover from the procedure?
Recovery time depends on the amount of filler that has been used and the nature of your skin. However, most patients usually feel relief in a few days, and they can go back to their normal activities after a week. However, if you experience any discomfort, swelling, or bruising, you should immediately visit a doctor.
How soon can I get a refill?
You should wait for about three months to allow the area to heal completely. Although, you must talk to your doctor if you need a refill sooner than this.